Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Day 4 -- Sunday

The Tragedy of the Camera
This morning, we were taking our daily "funny face" picture -- the same face we always pull when there's a picture with both of us in it. Many of you know exactly what face this is and are probably trying to recreate it as you read this. Anyway, I was in charge of pressing the button to take it, and after, I was trying to hand it back to Natalie when her curse of dropping everything spread to me. I let go of it too soon, and it began to drop. In our futile frenzy of trying to catch the camera mid-air, we smacked it to the right, making it land even harder on the hard floor of the closet. Dropping things is a running theme for us out here.

A Friendly Joke Gone Wrong
So, we have this District Leader named Alex, a lead inthe show playing John Taylor. He's very nice and has really made an effort to get to know and talk to me and Natalie. It turns out that he and Casey (one of our friends) are really good friends and used to work together. Of course, in response to Alex's kindness, we decide to call Casey to get some inside information to use -- funny/embarrassing stories, quirks, anything really. (Side note: If you are currently thinking that getting this kind of inside information to use is "uncharacteristic" of us or if you're having a hard time believing what you're reading, then you probably fall into one of two categories: 1)You don't know us very well. 2)You are our band teacher.) Anyway, we finally mustered up the courage to go up to him and perform our pre-scripted conversation that revealed that we knew about his codename for his Space Center engineer. But just before my punchline, Alex's Nauvoo romance interruped us to ask me where I got my dress. Our plot was pretty much ruined. I made an effort to improvise, but he just laughed, and Natalie and I walked away embarrassed while Alex and Melinda played footsies. (Again.)

Pageant Discussion
Silliness aside, we had a great meeting tonight where our director spoke to us about the development of the Pageant. He spoke extensively about artistic productions and performances, whether they be music, theater, art, etc. This really stuck a chord (haha, no pun intended) with me as I prepare to embark on an educational and occupational journey centered around music, and it helped answer some of the questions I've had. So many goals popped into my head of what I need to do to be the kind of musician the Lord would have me be and who the Lord can use to do His work. The following are some of the quotes that were inspirational to me and which I want to implement as I focus my education on music:

"We are not producing something; we are living it." -- David Warner, Director of the Music and Cultural Arts division for the Church

"The reason we have not yet produced a greater heritage in art and literature and music and drama is not, I am very certain, because we have not had talented people. Some have reached great heights in their chosen fields. But few have captured the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the restoration of it in music, art, and literature. They have not, therefore, even though they were gifted, made a lasting contribution to the ongoing of the Church and kingdom of God." -- Boyd K. Packer

"The artistic giants of latter days will be those who are the great father patriarchs and noble companions and mothers of men." -- Ezra Taft Benson

"There is not greatness in us, only through us." -- Ross Boothe, adapted from a quote from President Benson

At this meeting, I was overwhelmed with the desire to be an musical artist unto the Lord. That moment, my desires were purified; I no longer want to become only a consummate performer or clarinetist, but I want to truly "capture the spirit of the gospel" through what I do, which purity and greatness in artistry will only come through becoming purified and great in character and spirituality. And ultimately, my greatest artistic contributions (according to Pres. Benson) will be in being a "noble companion" and mother.

5 comments:

Noelle said...

Cool. It made me freak out a little, though. I'm going to freak out until 2 weeks into school, at least. So don't try to convince me otherwise.

Chlorine Addict said...

Way to go and be a nice little gospel clarinetist. I actually want to write a Christian Rock song. That would definitely go along with Generally Angelic.

soccerball said...

Well, we can freak out together, then! And go to the HFAC practice rooms and then out for ice cream, remember? And don't even worry; I haven't touched my clarinet for a week now. Oh well.

Nicole VandenBos said...

Wait a minute, what's Alex's last name? Is it Deberk (or something like that)?

Nicole VandenBos said...

Oops, never mind. If I had actually read your posts in order, I would've known the answer to my question. =) Goes to show what happens when you read the posts from newest to oldest! I was just asking because I work with him, too. No wonder I haven't seen him lately...=)