Sunday, July 1, 2007

Day Two: "Train's In, Train's In -- New Saints Arriving!"

Greetings from The King
I know you'll never believe it, but Elvis Presley works on this train's dining car. i heard him with my own ears -- "thank you very much," he said. By the way, Natalie and I have decided that our griends in the dining car need a speech coach. They feign rock star (dead) celebrity status, and they repeat themselves ad nauseum. Like the one woman, who in one announcement, wished us a good morning three times! Maybe Mr. Criman needs a summer job. . .

Safety! Safety! Read All About It!
Beleaguered by the news that our train is running two hours late, Natalie and I took drastic action to stay sane and find something to do. So we pulled out our handy-dandy "Customer Safety Instructions" pamphlet and began perusing the pages. We then decided to quiz each other on the information therein. The results? I would not follow proper emerency exit procedure if placed in that situation, but Natalie is a pro at activating snap lights.

"Let Nauvoo in Her Beauty Rise"
After finally getting picked up and taken to the Joseph Smith Academy (hereafter referred to as the JSA), we were more than ready for a shower. But by the time we signed in, registered, got our keys, etc., there was barely enough time to pull our hair back and get to the orientation meeting. Especially since we realized that we had completely spaced picking up our pre-sent boxes with anything in it we could have used to shower. Frankly, I was frustrated: I felt grungy, hadn't eaten a real meal for two days, and looked horrible. I was not at all amused when some cast coordinators and cast members I knew said "how pretty" I was. I had already succomb to the temptation of feeling overwhelmed and unnecessarily concerned with things that don't matter. But those feelings soon left as I listened to Davide Warner (our director) and Jack Renouf (our cast president) speak to us. Feelings from my experineces the past two years enveloped me, and I could again have the Spirit with me. Plus, Pres. Renoug said something that affirmed to me that I am where I'm supposed to be. He read a scripture (D&C 124:2) about being called to make "a solemn proclamation," after which "polishing" and "refinement" will come. I had been very impacted by this scripture last summer as I applied it to my Seminary Council calling. his reference to it in a new (but just as personal) sense was a well-timed tender mercy that reminded me of my Heavenly Father's specific love for me and of the fact that I have a work to do and a refining process yet to undergo on this trip.

Attack of the Door. . . or Fate
Well, Natalie "Oats" (her Nauvoo nickname) wrote more about this, but here goes: Natalie was just telling me about how she often gets hurt when opening doors. Per Murphy's Law, the next door she opens (rather forcefully), the bushes block her, and whe bruises her had by hitting into the door. "Coincidence? I think not!" (Name that movie!) Then, we went to get our boxes from the Nauvoo office and couldn't open that door. Finally, this guy opened the next door for us, but from the opposite side to which it swings -- which meant that we had to limbo under his arm to get through. Awkward. Doors are out to get us.

Once a Pariah, Always a Pariah
Well, seeing our cast was a blast; I love reminiscing and catching up with old friends. We got divided into "districts," with whom we have devotionals and act as stage families. Natalie and I are in a stage family with the Karr family. They're great, but very involved as leads and with other specific jobs they have, so they aren't always around much, leaving natalie and me to our lonesomes. Ironic that our pariahdom apparantly spans all borers and situations. At least, thanks to Noelle and BreeAnne, we have the appropriate eyeware to match our roles. Thanks guys!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Name that movie answer: "The Incredibles." Appropriate, of course, since you're traveling companion is Violet in the yearbook. :o)
Aaah! I was anonymous on the last blog post, 'cause it only gave me that and "other," but now it says my name!! Whoa. Talk about strange. Well, there went my game of "guess who." :o)

Chlorine Addict said...

You know, this blog seems very similar. I swear I've seen this style of writing somewhere before. And just a funny story, since you're talking about church and all that stuff, today I blessed both the bread AND the water in church. There were like a million people there and we had to bless three sets of water, mostly because Bonsteel can't count, so I got to bless both. Incredible, huh? Not many people can say they've ever done that.

PS: I don't think I'll ever get the California summary done, and probably not even the Youth Conference one.

Katrina said...

AHH! I am so jealous! I wish I was in Nauvoo! It sounds like you guys are having tons of fun!

Chlorine Addict said...

PPS: I did do a Youth Conference blog.

PPPS: Is Hurricane BreeAnne? If it is, BreeAnne, just picture the wave that you always do.

PPPPS: I wonder how many of these I can do.

PPPPPS: It looks like a little pyramid.

PPPPPPS: I'm done now.

PPPPPPPS: That's got to be a new record.

Noelle said...

No, BreeAnne doesn't blog. We should rope her into it. Greer, you sneaky little thing, being all anonymous like that. How come what I'm supposed to be doing isn't nearly as fun and spiritual as yours? *sigh* classic inferiority complex in those of lesser height. Oh. I just rolled across the floor on a swivel chair three times in a row, and I made one of those pioneer toys (the spinny ones?) with rubber bands and a CD...I thought someone should notice my genius.

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.