Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Day Three -- Natalie's perspective on Saturday

Pariahs without borders
Before Hannah and I left for Nauvoo, we talked about how we were not going to let ourselves be pariahs. We were goign to be outgoign, funny, upbeat, etc. On the train our hopes were diminished because we didn't want to attract unwanted attention. So we decided that once we arrived in Nauvoo we would adopt the desired qualites. Not happening. Everyone is very nice, but for the most part, we're by our lonesome. Even our district seems to be estranged from the rest of the cast. Good thing we've had lots of practice in pariahdom.

You're HOW old?!
It's 4:17 on Day 3, and Hannah and I have already had multiple experiences with people mistaking our age and relationship to each other (and in so doing, they mistake race). Our district leader Alex "DeBhurque" thought we were returned missionaries. Sister Christensen asked us how far into college we were. Many people have asked us if we are sisters or perhaps cousins. My response to that question is an incredulous look and the phrase, "Does Hannah look Asian?!" Well, apparently she does.

Would you please stop throwing things at the floor?
This problem of mine, unlike the door problem, has been recently acquired here in Nauvoo. When we arrived to our room yesterday, I was putting lotion on but I missed my hand and sprayed the floor. Also yesterday, I dropped my can of Stax! They should now be called Crumbz! This morning, I was putting on some makeup and dropped it on the floor. Then I dropped my phone at rehearsal. Upon returning to our room, I dropped my can of pringles and then a chip! This is seriously weird (but I haven't "dropped the baby"...yet).

Can we help it if we like to laugh?
Hannah and I were practicing our Irish dance. We tried going straight through the whole dance, but during the final 16 counts, I messed up and Hannah couldn't control her laughter. So we tried it again. This time I cracked up. We tried multiple times and haven't been able to make it through without laughing yet. This is bad news.

Costume tribulation
Hannah's costume didn't really fit, so one of the costumers asked, "Is Hannah getting at tuck?" That's pretty blunt, in my opinion. Now, because I'm tall, I think I have a longer torso than what we might call "normal". So I put on my skirt, then the bodice, and there was a few inched of my undershirt showing. In order to remedy this problem, I pulled my skirt all the way up my torso so it would connect with the bodice. But then my skirt would puff out weird, and now I walk around looking pregnant. This led to Hannah's quote of the day (and, quite possibly, the whole trip) "I am pregnant every year!"

Lunch Delights
Today at lunch there was a BYU ballroom dance company dining with us. BYU boys are a little crazy. One of them was sitting under a serving table with his head sitting on a platter which was covered by the lid, of course. When Hannah and I came up to the table, he was talking to his friend which was a little weird. A disembodied voice coming from the entree. But it didn't faze Hannah. She didn't even notice when he crawled out from under the table.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

Ha. You get the laugh of the day award. Oh, and what Irish dance are you doing? It's not the one from Casterbridge, is it?

Chlorine Addict said...

Disembodied voices? The Narrator has a family!!!

Plus I'm glad you've embraced your race!

And Stax! and Crumbz! made me actually laugh. I'm not much of a laughing while I'm reading type, so congratulations.

Natalie said...

Yes, it is the Casterbridge dance! With a few alterations, of course. We added a part at the beginning. It has to do with stick dancing. And I'm glad I made you guys laugh! Thanks!

Noelle said...

With stick dancing?! I love you guys.

And I love us.