Sunday, July 1, 2007

Day One

Hannah and I boarded the train at approximately 4:45 AM. Somehow, we forgot about the early hour and climbed the stairs laughing and talking. Suddenly (when people sleepily looked at us), we realized that the main activity on the train was sleeping. This made us laugh harder because we had been loud. Anyway, we sat down and were immediately assaulted by two scary people-men. They started asking us questions about Hannah's family. We were scared. One of the men was bald-ish; the other wore a cowboy hat. They will hereafter be referred to according to their descriptions.

Eventually, we feel asleep in our very reclined chairs. It was still scary because cowboy hat kept looking at us. When we woke up around 6:15 AM, I felt like sitting up. So I asked Hannah, "Do these seats come up farther?" As I spoke, I pressed this silver button on my arm rest. And the seat back rocketed itself forward. It was quite loud. Because of the type of personality I have, I was quite embarrassed, but of course I couldn't show it. "Yep" was all I could say.

Unfortunately, the noise had called some attention to Hannah and I. Bald-ish man was now watching us. "Good morning!" He called. We muttered a disinterested "Hello" and returned to our usual activities-talking, laughing, and gossiping.

A few hours later (11:45 AM) two boys about our age boarded and sat right behind us. They looked fairly normal-not too scary. We will refer to them as the AtbSBs (Appearing to be Sane Brothers). I felt safer with them behind us. Hannah fell in love with the older one (No, just kidding. We didn't even look at them). The younger AtbSB was sitting behind me. Not too long after the train started moving, I heard a very familiar noise of the chair flinging itself up. "I KNEW that was going to happen!" exclaimed younger brother. So I laughed at him. In a kind way.

Not even 15 minutes had passed before I heard that noise again. "Ahhhhhhhh!" younger brother cried. He apparently does not have the same vain personality flaws that I do. Hannah and I started to laugh even harder at him.

*Sidenote: Hannah slept through Ruby Canyon (I'm not sure if that's the real name). They only way you can see said canyon is if you raft the Colorado River or take the train. I think Hannah is now out of luck.*

While Hannah was asleep, there was this old woman walking down the aisle. Suddenly the train leapt into a tunnel and what had been day was suddenly night (it was dark). "Oh!" preffed the granny. "We must be in a tunnel!" Rolling my eyes, I said to myself "Thank you, lieutenant".

To pass the time on the train, I started reading my great-uncle's book about college/random stuff. There was a section on cursing. Uncle John suggest that instead of cursing, we should just say the phrase, "Audit you!" Long story. Anyway, our male counterparts (the AtbSBs) need to read Uncle John's book. Hannah and I are officially disenchanted.

Are Ya Feelin' it?
Of course, no long journey would be complete without kisses. The chocolate kind. So I brought a bag of kisses along. Hannah and I decided to break out the kisses at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon. As I opened the bag, one kiss fell in between our seats and landed on the floor in back of us-right in front of the disenchanting boys. We laughed about it (silently, of course) for a couple of minutes and resumed our conversation. But when Hannah leaned forward to put her cherry yogurt away, a kiss fell from her Secret Stash and came to a stop in between our seats. I looked at the kiss, then at Hannah, and started to say, "Is that kiss yours?" But when she turned to look, it fell off our seats and landed on the floor alongside the first kiss. We felt pretty silly, throwing kissed at those nerd boys.

Revenge
Hannah and I eventually decided that we needed to use the train restrooms. It wasn't ideal, but it was kinda necessary. We stood up and started walking to the stairs which were located behind us. As I followed Hannah, I suddenly and completely lost my balance. I was carrying a big, full purse, and I just happened to whack Older Brother in the head. And then I was immobilized. I was stuck, hitting him in the head with my Large Purse. Of course I apologized, but in my head I was thinking, "This is what I think of you and your rotten language! Plus your know-it-all attitude and pariah talking!" Then I ran down the stairs. I'm pretty sure he learned his lesson.

When we returned from the restroom, the older brother tried talking to us. He asked where we were headed and where we're from. We answered him, but we were definitely disenchanted still, so that's where the conversation ended. Older AtbSB was probably surprised that he and I hadn't bonded more during that moment that we were practically stuck. So, he turned his attention and attitude to a boy sitting behind him. I felt kinda bad for this pariah boy, but didn't intrude.

A few hours later, the disenchanting brothers got off the train. Someone new boarded and struck up a conversation with pariah boy. This is where the tragedy will be realized. Pariah boy turned out to be incredibly normal. He wants to serve a mission in Tonga. Hannah and I wanted to talk to him, but it was late so we left that task until morning. However, in the morning we were too scared to talk to him and he left the train in Omaha.

1 comment:

Noelle said...

I pretty much love how you used "preffed" and "lieutenant" in the same paragraph. I'm officially jealous of your trip, by the way.